29 August 2010

sleeping in waves

It was getting dark when I realized I had been sleeping standing up. I was unsure of the time as I stood facing the mist and the wind. As I opened my eyes to watch the last sliver of sun get swallowed by the sea, she made her way into my thoughts. Maybe she'd never left. Maybe I took her presence in my head for granted before now. Maybe I was waiting for her to make sense. Either way, she was welcome and I was ready for her to take hold.

And she did with vigor and resilience.

If I had come to a minute later than I had, I would have been fooled by her brightness and warmth into thinking it was midday and I had been here all night. I willed myself to turn around and go the way of the rising tide toward the boardwalk. I was almost to the pier when I heard footsteps behind me "It's her," I thought. Or rather, I knew.

No comments: