20 January 2006

the reshaping of rain clouds

from the first time i saw her standing next to the fire place i knew that i'd have to prove i wasn't just another head case. "sure i've got some issues, but i bet you have 'em, too. and i know that there's gonna be some things we'll need to get through." what's said is done and what's done is said to be the reason we fall down and get right back up again.

anyway, back to the story: we left the bar at last call and held each other in the rain. it was then i knew i was bound to fall and sure enough, three weeks later, without a headline in the paper, i hit the ground hard, explaining why when she's around my knees get weak. i guess it's easier to fall than it is to fly, but when we kissed, i swear to god i felt like i could reach the sky and reshape all the clouds to remind her of me. 'cause these days it feels like i need all the help i can get. so i'm calling myself to make sure my phone still works. and when i get smart with the rep, she's the third in a day to call me a jerk, which i guess explains why my story ends with this scene:

she's reading how to tell him that you're just friends in a pop magazine after a late night with her single cousins and a guy who's everything but me. while my phone sits silent i'm wondering why i didn't see this coming from so far away. nothing gold will ever stay in the hands of someone who's been settling for copper eggs. so high you sat upon your thrown i built for you to rule my mind that when you stepped down, gave up your crown, it made me realize that no matter what i think i deserve or who's in whose league i just need to believe in everything you said i'd never be:

loved.

No comments: